Immunity Boosting Tips
By: Dr. Nathaniel Mainord
Collegeside Wellness Ministry Leader
|With the outbreak of COVID-19, many people have been asking for some preventative measures and/or supplements that can be taken to boost the immune system. In response, this is what our professionals at Optimal Health and Performance have been recommending:|
1. Get some sunlight. This is the natural and most ideal way to boost Vitamin D production. Aim for 15-20 minutes of sun exposure per day, preferably without sunscreen.
|2. MOVE! We are quarantined, not restrained. Get some sweat going to help detoxify your body and clear your mind. Movement does not have to be a high-intensity workout (excessive HIIT workouts may actually reduce your immune system), but you do want to elevate your heart rate and generate perspiration. A few examples would be a TABATA-style workout, a 30-minute walk at least 3-4 days a week, or a family hike (as of now, local and state parks are still open).|
3. Drink plenty of water. A good rule of thumb is consuming enough water in ounces to equal half of your body weight (ex: an adult weighing 150 lbs. would consume 75 oz./day). If you typically do not drink a lot of water, work your way up slowly by adding an additional 8-10 oz. of water every three days (or you may be quarantining yourself to the bathroom all day!)
4. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are a great source of antioxidants, as well as vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Be sure to consider including citrus fruits, strawberries and pickles, as these are great sources of Vitamin C.
|5. Eat whole foods. Processed foods can increase inflammation in the body, thus weakening your immune system. Since there may be heightened quarantine restrictions in the days to come, cooking would be a great family activity. Learn how to meal prep or even cook for others.|
|6. Get some FRESH AIR! Just as water can become stagnant, so can air. Weather permitting, open the windows, turn on some fans, and let fresh air move through your house. This would also be a good time to change your air filters. (Side note: if someone in your house becomes sick, change your air filter often as the air in most homes is recirculated). And of course, spend lots of time outside!|
7. Take Supplements. While the supplement suggestions below will not prevent you from contracting COVID-19, they may give your body a much better chance to fight it. As with any vitamin, mineral, or supplement, prioritize a good quality brand. And of course, consult your physician before adding any new vitamins or supplements.
- Vitamin A- antioxidant, supports DNA integrity
- Vitamin D3- immune modulator (10,000-25,000 IU/day)
- Vitamin C- antioxidant, boosts immune system, shows positive outcomes against the Corona Virus
- ( https://wholefoodsmagazine.com/columns/vitamin-connection/vitamin-c-and-the-immune-system-nutritional-fortification-to-support-defenses-against-viruses/) (3-5g/day. Consider starting with 1-2 g/day and slowly increasing.)
- Glutathione- antioxidant (we recommend liposomal or S-Acetyl). Consider also taking B6, B7, and B12, as they are precursors.
|If you have any additional questions about these recommendations, please contact Nate at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect online at ohpcookeville.com|
Posted in Wellness Ministry
Vijay Kumar - May 22nd, 2020 at 1:43pm
I liked your blog very much. Thank you for sharing the blog on ways to boost immune system.
St. Patrick and the Presence of GodAt Home Date NightThe Goodness of a PandemicCommuning ApartFrom the Childrens Library- The Lost LambWeekly Ministry UpdateThe Promises of God - Day OneTeenside Daily DevotionalCollegeside Care GroupsTeenside Daily DevotionalImmunity Boosting TipsThe Promises of God - Day 2Self Care ResourcesKidside Quarantine ReportBuilding a Family Mission StatementThe Promises of God - Day 3Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - Good, Good FatherTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - HopeTeenside Daily DevotionalQuarantined TogetherTeenside Daily Devotional
Teenside Daily DevotionalRest and RiseReflections on the Serenity Prayer - Part 1The Promises of God - Part 4Teenside Daily DevotionalReflections on the Serenity Prayer - Part 2Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - God Made You SpecialTeenside Daily DevotionalTales From The Trail: #1 Hope Springs Forth From Human HeartsTales from the Trail: #2 The Last Supper and the Banquet to ComeTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - Stay ConnectedTales From The Trail: #3 Lead With The TowelTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 5Teenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #4 Lonely Night in the GardenLimit Your WorryTales from the Trail: #5 Peter, O PeterThe Promises of God - Day 6Teenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #6 The Friday We Call GoodTeenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #7 The Tomb is FullTeenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #8 So It Isn’t FinishedFrom The Children's Library - God Gave Us EasterTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery UpdateYour Best Night InThe Promises of GodTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalHard TimesFamily ResourcesThe Promises of God - Day 8Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalRestTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 9Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalSeeking Wisdom From GodThe Grace ChallengeApril ImpressionsTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalPicnic DatePromises of God - Day 10Kidside Focus VideosFrom The Children's Library - The Rainbow FishTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - Online Meeting NightsTeenside Daily DevotionalWeekly ChallengeTeenside Daily DevotionalGuard Your HeartTeenside Daily DevotionalKidside Worship At HomeTeenside Daily Devotional
Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - Ernie's Little LiesTeenside Daily DevotionalHeartfelt Friends UpdateKidside Children's LessonTeenside Daily DevotionalWeekly ChallengeWorry, Worry, Worry!Teenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 11Journey To The Battlefield Daily DevotionalRestoring Our Mind And SpiritTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 2Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Allie GuinnKidside Children's LessonI Want To Hold Your HandTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Cameron ReedPreschool Memory Verse and Prayer - May 2020Teenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 3Testimony TuesdayElementary Memory Verse and Prayer - May 2020Letter From Elizabeth WillmoreBuilding On The RockTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 4Heartfelt Friends InvitationLetter From Hannah ClarkLetter From Josh BunnerMarriage In QuarantineThe Lord Heals The Broken-HeartedTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Rachel StokesTeenside Daily DevotionalKidside Children's LessonWe Are Weak, But He Is StrongTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 5Meeting Updates and Staying ConnectedThinking Out Loud On Evangelism, Part 1Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 6Teenside Daily DevotionalThinking Out Loud On Evangelism, Part 2The Path's Of GodKidside Children's LessonThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 7Strength In GodIntern IntroductionsLearning To Comfort Others