Jesus' Death and Burial
Matthew 27: 27- 66
- The Roman soldiers mock and insult Jesus. Who might be “Roman soldiers” today?
- Convicted criminals had to carry their cross as a means of public testimony to their guilt. Why is it appropriate, then, that Simon carried the cross for Jesus? How does thinking of the cross as a public testimony to guilt reframe Matthew 16:24 for you?
- Reflect on verses 45-46. Was Jesus justified in feeling forsaken by God? How does this moment reflect with the holy nature of God’s justice?
- Who is ultimately responsible for Jesus’ death? Why? See Acts 2:23.
- Matthew records soldiers, spectators, and a group of female disciples present at the crucifixion. John lets us know that he was present as well. However, the other 10 apostles and the Jewish leaders were not present. Why? What can we infer about the apostles from their absence? What can we infer about the Jewish leaders from their absences? What justifications might each group have made for their absence? How do you imagine the absence of His closest friends affected Jesus?
- Consider verses 62-22. What is striking at this point if we compare the knowledge and actions of Jesus’ enemies with those of His disciples?
- What is especially ironic about the Jewish leaders calling Jesus “that deceiver” in verse 63? With whom has these leaders ultimately made a deal with? Refer to Luke 22:3, John 8:44, and Revelation 12:9.
Posted in Collegeside General Info
Bible Reading Plan Week 2 Day 1Bible Reading Plan Week 2 Day 2Almost HomeBible Reading Plan Week 2 Day 3Bible Reading Plan Week 2 Day 4In Conjunction With OthersBible Reading Plan Week 2 Day 5Bible Reading Plan Week 3 Day 1Bible Reading Plan Week 3 Day 2A Unique CityLove Stronger Than EvilBible Reading Plan Week 3 Day 3Bible Reading Plan Week 3 Day 4Studies In PsalmsQuiet RestBible Reading Plan Week 3 Day 5Bible Reading Plan Week 4 Day 1Peace Prayer of St. FrancisBible Reading Plan Week 4 Day 2Faith and Positive LivingBible Reading Plan Week 4 Day 3The Son ShinesBible Reading Plan Week 4 Day 4Hearing Your Words AgainBible Reading Plan Week 4 Day 5
Shepherd PsalmBible Reading Plan Week 5 Day 1The Way To A Man's HeartBible Reading Plan Week 5 Day 2The BasicsBible Reading Plan Week 5 Day 3The Steps Of A ManBible Reading Plan Week 5 Day 4Bible Reading Plan Week 5 Day 5Bible Reading Plan Week 6 Day 1Bible Reading Plan Week 6 Day 2Prince of PeaceBible Reading Plan Week 6 Day 3Bible Reading Plan Week 6 Day 4Son of EncouragementBible Reading Plan Week 6 Day 5Bible Reading Plan Week 7 Day 1Grumbling or Gratitude?Bible Reading Plan Week 7 Day 2Bible Reading Plan Week 7 Day 3Unfaithful FriendsBible Reading Plan Week 7 Day 4Bible Reading Plan Week 7 Day 5Bible Reading Plan Week 8 Day 1Kidside Easter Series AnnouncementBible Reading Plan Week 8 Day 2A Covenant With Our EyesBible Reading Plan Week 8 Day 3Bible Reading Plan Week 8 Day 4Wisdom Toward OthersBible Reading Plan Week 8 Day 5
Event AnnouncementsThe Great Stone FaceKidside Children's LessonPicked Him UpThe Suffering ServantKidside Children's LessonJesus Anointed by MaryTime In God's HandsJesus Predicts and Explains His DeathJesus' Triumphal EntryThe Good Ole DaysJesus Teaches to Remain WatchfulWeek 1 ReflectionWeek 1 Prayer and PraisePlot Against JesusKidside Children's LessonA Sweet AromaJesus Washes the Disciples' FeetThe Last SupperA Designing GodJesus in the Garden of GethsemaneJesus' Prayer in the GardenWeek 2 ReflectionWeek 2 Prayer and PraiseJesus Predicts Peter's DenialKidside Children's LessonJesus ArrestedKidside AnnouncementsMarriage Is About Your SpousePeter Denies JesusJesus Before Pilate, Judas' Response and The Events Before the CrucifixionIt's About GraceJesus' Death and BurialWeek 3 ReflectionWeek 3 Prayer and PraiseThe Angel and the TombKidside Children's LessonMary's ReportThe Road to Emmaus