Acts: The Gospel In Motion
Wednesday Night Bible Class: Acts 2: 1-14
- Where is the intersection between God’s sovereignty and man’s free will? If God’s sovereignty extends all of our actions being preordained, does that make God responsible for our sinful actions? Read 1 John 1:15, Psalms 92:15, and James 1:13. Can God participate in evil? How does our free will make Jesus’ sacrifice and our salvation more precious?
- Read John 20:19. Before Christ’s resurrection appearances, the apostles met behind locked doors. After the resurrection, according to Luke 24:53 and Acts 1:15, the apostles are found teaching and praising God publicly. What caused their change in attitude? See Acts 1: 5, 7-8, 2:1-4. Does something keep you “behind locked doors” and prevent you from being bold about sharing Jesus with others? How can you deepen your connection to Holy Spirit to increase your boldness for the Lord?
- Read Acts 2:1-4. On the day of Pentecost, how did Holy Spirit make Himself known audibly and visually? Think about times God made his presence known in Old Testament (see Exodus 13:22, Numbers 14:14, Job 38:1, and John 3:8). How would the familiarity of the Holy Spirit’s coming been both confirming and encouraging to the people in the upper room?
- How is the baptism of the Holy Spirit experienced in the upper room DIFFERENT from receiving the Holy Spirit at baptism? How does receiving Holy Spirit after baptism work to both sanctify us and draw us closer relationship with God? What function did the special Holy Spirit baptism at Pentecost serve?
- Even after hearing the apostles speak in dialects that Galileans would not have known, some of those who heard rejected the message. By suggesting the apostles were drunk, they were attacking the messenger in an effort to discredit the message. How is this tactic used today? Preview next week’s text and read Acts 2: 14-41. How did Peter respond to those who tried attacked the apostles’ credibility rather than the message? What does this teach us about how we should respond when criticized for sharing the Gospel?
- If the apostles and others in the upper room were rejected by those who heard them AFTER they received the miraculous baptism of the Holy Spirit and kept sharing the Gospel, how should we respond to rejection in the 21st century? Should we be surprised? Should we be discouraged? What lessons about persistence can we learn from this upper room group?
- Even as the church is founded, God is inviting all people. By miraculously allowing all people in earshot to hear the apostles in their native dialects, God is offering Himself to all people. How does God using the men in the upper room to speak in the native dialects of those who heard preview the gospel being spread to all people? Do you think non-Jewish people in the audience would have been surprised to be included? Do you think non-Jewish people would have been more or less open to the message of Jesus?
- What mighty work has God done in your life? What has changed in you as a result of Holy Spirit living in you? What has God saved you from? Can you view these changes as mighty and powerful simply because they are changes you could not have made without Him?
Posted in Collegeside General Info
St. Patrick and the Presence of GodAt Home Date NightThe Goodness of a PandemicCommuning ApartFrom the Childrens Library- The Lost LambWeekly Ministry UpdateThe Promises of God - Day OneTeenside Daily DevotionalCollegeside Care GroupsTeenside Daily DevotionalImmunity Boosting TipsThe Promises of God - Day 2Self Care ResourcesKidside Quarantine ReportBuilding a Family Mission StatementThe Promises of God - Day 3Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - Good, Good FatherTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - HopeTeenside Daily DevotionalQuarantined TogetherTeenside Daily Devotional
Teenside Daily DevotionalRest and RiseReflections on the Serenity Prayer - Part 1The Promises of God - Part 4Teenside Daily DevotionalReflections on the Serenity Prayer - Part 2Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - God Made You SpecialTeenside Daily DevotionalTales From The Trail: #1 Hope Springs Forth From Human HeartsTales from the Trail: #2 The Last Supper and the Banquet to ComeTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - Stay ConnectedTales From The Trail: #3 Lead With The TowelTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 5Teenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #4 Lonely Night in the GardenLimit Your WorryTales from the Trail: #5 Peter, O PeterThe Promises of God - Day 6Teenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #6 The Friday We Call GoodTeenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #7 The Tomb is FullTeenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #8 So It Isn’t FinishedFrom The Children's Library - God Gave Us EasterTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery UpdateYour Best Night InThe Promises of GodTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalHard TimesFamily ResourcesThe Promises of God - Day 8Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalRestTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 9Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalSeeking Wisdom From GodThe Grace ChallengeApril ImpressionsTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalPicnic DatePromises of God - Day 10Kidside Focus VideosFrom The Children's Library - The Rainbow FishTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - Online Meeting NightsTeenside Daily DevotionalWeekly ChallengeTeenside Daily DevotionalGuard Your HeartTeenside Daily DevotionalKidside Worship At HomeTeenside Daily Devotional
Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - Ernie's Little LiesTeenside Daily DevotionalHeartfelt Friends UpdateKidside Children's LessonTeenside Daily DevotionalWeekly ChallengeWorry, Worry, Worry!Teenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 11Journey To The Battlefield Daily DevotionalRestoring Our Mind And SpiritTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 2Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Allie GuinnKidside Children's LessonI Want To Hold Your HandTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Cameron ReedPreschool Memory Verse and Prayer - May 2020Teenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 3Testimony TuesdayElementary Memory Verse and Prayer - May 2020Letter From Elizabeth WillmoreBuilding On The RockTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 4Heartfelt Friends InvitationLetter From Hannah ClarkLetter From Josh BunnerMarriage In QuarantineThe Lord Heals The Broken-HeartedTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Rachel StokesTeenside Daily DevotionalKidside Children's LessonWe Are Weak, But He Is StrongTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 5Meeting Updates and Staying ConnectedThinking Out Loud On Evangelism, Part 1Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 6Teenside Daily DevotionalThinking Out Loud On Evangelism, Part 2The Path's Of GodKidside Children's LessonThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 7Strength In GodIntern IntroductionsLearning To Comfort Others
Kidside Children's LessonGratitude To GodOur Last HomeThe Problem of FearKidside Children's LessonMy Times In Your HandThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 8The KingThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 9The Reins In God's HandsKidside Children's LessonGod Our FatherMeeting Night Begins June 23rdLetter To The Philippians, Part 10Gone To GloryThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 11Falling Out of BedKidside Children's LessonMeeting Night Is Back!A Clean HomeFellowship 5KThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 12Standard Operations Resume July 1stFriendship In MarriageFaith Through Our FathersKidside Children's LessonGood Old DaysThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 13
The Ring Of SonshipHelp Lord!Kidside Children's LessonA Recipient Of GraceNew Encourager CoachThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 14Jesus Paid The PriceToo Much Stuff!Kidside Children's LessonThe Mistake of Forgetting GodIt Starts With MeWho Holds Your HandsBeing Grateful/ThankfulSeeing A SermonFriendship In MarriageA Place of Quiet RestKidside Children's LessonMinistry Update From Andrew JonesLight It Up With PraiseThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 15Respond or React?Are You Bearing Good Fruit?Special DeliveryKidside Children's LessonThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 16God's Word Survives
Kidside Children's LessonWhat Will Your Legacy Be?The Letter To The Philippians, Part 17Blessed AssuranceCotton Candy vs. TruthTomato: A Fruit or Vegetable?Kidside Children's LessonRepenters Must RepentSitting At The Feet Of JesusPreparing To MoveKidside Children's LessonTrappedClean Hands, Pure HeartReturn To Combined Children's Worship And FocusThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 18Spiritual VisionKidside Children's LessonOur Final HomeLeads Us In TriumphsActs: The Gospel In MotionTests For A Little WhileKidside Children's LessonThe Lord Over Fear
Brotherly WisdomActs: The Gospel In MotionVictory Over Peer PressureMore Than A Religious SpeakerKidside Children's LessonInstant ReplayActs: The Gospel In MotionOne of Man's Greatest FearsVictory LapSelfiesKidside Children's LessonThe Matter of DistanceBe There In Calm And ChaosActs: The Gospel In MotionBroken UnityWeekly CheckupKidside Children's LessonThe Light Of Salvation