Acts: The Gospel In Motion
Chapter 7: Discussion Guide
- Stephen’s message was to a Jewish audience and was full of Jewish history. What is the wisdom in finding a common starting point with people when sharing the Gospel? How can establishing shared belief affect conversations about the Gospel in a positive way?
- Even though he found a common starting point, Stephen knew that the end of his testimony would be in a radically different place than that of the Sanhedrin members. Read Acts 7:51-53. Did Stephen let the common starting point and shared beliefs prevent him from sharing truth with his audience? What can modern disciples learn from his example?
- Thinking back to what you know about the Pharisees and Sadducees, why do you think did the Sanhedrin respond so violently to Stephen’s message? What was so threatening about it? How do we respond to truth that is hard for us to hear? Are our hearts tender to the truth of the Lord or do we respond with anger and rejection because we don’t like the message like the Sanhedrin did? Read 2 Timothy 4:3. What is Paul’s warning about having a Sanhedrin-like attitude? How can 21st century disciples guard our hearts against it?
- Because of the death of Stephen and the persecution that followed, the believers in Jerusalem were scattered. They did not change their message to avoid persecution, instead they took the Gospel to places it could be shared. In what ways has the Gospel been changed by 21st century culture because of persecution (ie: people saying the Gospel is hateful, narrow-minded, old-fashioned)? How can disciples preserve the truth of the word in a culture of “intellectual” persecution if not physical persecution?
- Stephen was fearless in a moment when he had every reason to be fearful while sharing the Gospel. Why is fear such a powerful tool when it comes to preventing us from sharing the Gospel? If we really believe that this earthly life is temporal and have faith in Jesus, what do we have to fear? Read Matthew 10:28-32. What does Jesus tell his disciples concerning fear and professing Him?
Posted in Collegeside General Info
St. Patrick and the Presence of GodAt Home Date NightThe Goodness of a PandemicCommuning ApartFrom the Childrens Library- The Lost LambWeekly Ministry UpdateThe Promises of God - Day OneTeenside Daily DevotionalCollegeside Care GroupsTeenside Daily DevotionalImmunity Boosting TipsThe Promises of God - Day 2Self Care ResourcesKidside Quarantine ReportBuilding a Family Mission StatementThe Promises of God - Day 3Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - Good, Good FatherTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - HopeTeenside Daily DevotionalQuarantined TogetherTeenside Daily Devotional
Teenside Daily DevotionalRest and RiseReflections on the Serenity Prayer - Part 1The Promises of God - Part 4Teenside Daily DevotionalReflections on the Serenity Prayer - Part 2Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - God Made You SpecialTeenside Daily DevotionalTales From The Trail: #1 Hope Springs Forth From Human HeartsTales from the Trail: #2 The Last Supper and the Banquet to ComeTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - Stay ConnectedTales From The Trail: #3 Lead With The TowelTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 5Teenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #4 Lonely Night in the GardenLimit Your WorryTales from the Trail: #5 Peter, O PeterThe Promises of God - Day 6Teenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #6 The Friday We Call GoodTeenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #7 The Tomb is FullTeenside Daily DevotionalTales from the Trail: #8 So It Isn’t FinishedFrom The Children's Library - God Gave Us EasterTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery UpdateYour Best Night InThe Promises of GodTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalHard TimesFamily ResourcesThe Promises of God - Day 8Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalRestTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 9Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalSeeking Wisdom From GodThe Grace ChallengeApril ImpressionsTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalPicnic DatePromises of God - Day 10Kidside Focus VideosFrom The Children's Library - The Rainbow FishTeenside Daily DevotionalCelebrate Recovery - Online Meeting NightsTeenside Daily DevotionalWeekly ChallengeTeenside Daily DevotionalGuard Your HeartTeenside Daily DevotionalKidside Worship At HomeTeenside Daily Devotional
Teenside Daily DevotionalFrom The Children's Library - Ernie's Little LiesTeenside Daily DevotionalHeartfelt Friends UpdateKidside Children's LessonTeenside Daily DevotionalWeekly ChallengeWorry, Worry, Worry!Teenside Daily DevotionalThe Promises of God - Day 11Journey To The Battlefield Daily DevotionalRestoring Our Mind And SpiritTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 2Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Allie GuinnKidside Children's LessonI Want To Hold Your HandTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Cameron ReedPreschool Memory Verse and Prayer - May 2020Teenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 3Testimony TuesdayElementary Memory Verse and Prayer - May 2020Letter From Elizabeth WillmoreBuilding On The RockTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 4Heartfelt Friends InvitationLetter From Hannah ClarkLetter From Josh BunnerMarriage In QuarantineThe Lord Heals The Broken-HeartedTeenside Daily DevotionalLetter From Rachel StokesTeenside Daily DevotionalKidside Children's LessonWe Are Weak, But He Is StrongTeenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 5Meeting Updates and Staying ConnectedThinking Out Loud On Evangelism, Part 1Teenside Daily DevotionalTeenside Daily DevotionalThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 6Teenside Daily DevotionalThinking Out Loud On Evangelism, Part 2The Path's Of GodKidside Children's LessonThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 7Strength In GodIntern IntroductionsLearning To Comfort Others
Kidside Children's LessonGratitude To GodOur Last HomeThe Problem of FearKidside Children's LessonMy Times In Your HandThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 8The KingThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 9The Reins In God's HandsKidside Children's LessonGod Our FatherMeeting Night Begins June 23rdLetter To The Philippians, Part 10Gone To GloryThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 11Falling Out of BedKidside Children's LessonMeeting Night Is Back!A Clean HomeFellowship 5KThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 12Standard Operations Resume July 1stFriendship In MarriageFaith Through Our FathersKidside Children's LessonGood Old DaysThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 13
The Ring Of SonshipHelp Lord!Kidside Children's LessonA Recipient Of GraceNew Encourager CoachThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 14Jesus Paid The PriceToo Much Stuff!Kidside Children's LessonThe Mistake of Forgetting GodIt Starts With MeWho Holds Your HandsBeing Grateful/ThankfulSeeing A SermonFriendship In MarriageA Place of Quiet RestKidside Children's LessonMinistry Update From Andrew JonesLight It Up With PraiseThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 15Respond or React?Are You Bearing Good Fruit?Special DeliveryKidside Children's LessonThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 16God's Word Survives
Kidside Children's LessonWhat Will Your Legacy Be?The Letter To The Philippians, Part 17Blessed AssuranceCotton Candy vs. TruthTomato: A Fruit or Vegetable?Kidside Children's LessonRepenters Must RepentSitting At The Feet Of JesusPreparing To MoveKidside Children's LessonTrappedClean Hands, Pure HeartReturn To Combined Children's Worship And FocusThe Letter To The Philippians, Part 18Spiritual VisionKidside Children's LessonOur Final HomeLeads Us In TriumphsActs: The Gospel In MotionTests For A Little WhileKidside Children's LessonThe Lord Over Fear
Brotherly WisdomActs: The Gospel In MotionVictory Over Peer PressureMore Than A Religious SpeakerKidside Children's LessonInstant ReplayActs: The Gospel In MotionOne of Man's Greatest FearsVictory LapSelfiesKidside Children's LessonThe Matter of DistanceBe There In Calm And ChaosActs: The Gospel In MotionBroken UnityWeekly CheckupKidside Children's LessonThe Light Of SalvationDid Jesus Really Do That?NicknamesThe Ways Of GodThe Riches of GodActs 3: The Gospel In MotionCagesWhat Do You Desire From God
Evidence For The BibleAccurate DirectionsKidside Children's LessonSuch Were Some Of YouMind ControlKidside Children's LessonIs Your Name Written There?Sincere PrayerThe Spirit Is HoveringKidside Children's LessonLiving WaterFaith In An Invisible GodDigging Deeper: Personal Study For ActsSpirit-Filled PreachingKidside Children's Lesson